Monday, August 08, 2005

Uinta Trip - Day 1

We left for the Uinta trip, which is in the Ashley National Forest. There is a total of 9 people on this trip. Jake Woodland, Chad Wright, Cary Hylton, Mark Middlebrook, Jordan Middlebrook, Johnathan Gay, Drew Daybell, James Hylton and myself. Left Springville around 7am and got to our starting point around noon.



We ate lunch while the cars were being shuttled to our ending point, Chepta Lake. Our starting point was the road to Rasmussen Lakes. The hike was pretty steep. About 650 Ft in about 2.5 miles, which took us about 2 hrs to complete. We got to Rasmussen Lake but took the wrong way, so we ended up walking completely around the lake. Once we got to our site, we got fire going, then went fishing. I decided to put on a mosquito Fly on my fly rod and to fish the stream coming out of the lake. I caught the first fish out of our group. It was only an 8 inch trout, but was fun to catch it on the fly rod.

Dinner was a tin foil dinner, it was good. I brought a heavy frozen tin foil dinner, as I knew that was going to be the only really good food I had the whole week. After dinner, I went fishing again and caught a larger 2nd fish, that was about 12 inches, which I released. After fishing we sat around and talked while the kids played in the fire. It is amazing how many more stars you can see when you are away from the city. Tomorrow we have another 2-3 miles.