Today was an odd day for me. I lost my wallet (had a good amount of cash in it) I had my debit card and Discover card for some reason, so I started out in the morning with Ryan to finish up my shopping for my camping trip but came back as some friends showed up to see the house. I didn't get back out till about noon, or so. I went to Mom and Dad's to get the rest of my gear and got stuck there for about 45 minutes as someone parked behind me and I couldn't get out. I then went to Jake Woodland's house to show him my new fly rod and reel and to ask for a few pointers on fly fishing, since that is what I'm going to be doing for the next week. After getting things under control, I mentioned that it was too bad that I was just getting my fly reel and it would have been nice to have done some fly fishing before I went on this trip. Jake's reply was "Walmart is open 24/7, you have plenty of time to finish your shopping before midnight (Sunday), let's go fishing up Hobblecreek Canyon." I called Deni and asked if I could go fishing for a little while, she agreed, so I went. I thought we were going to be up there for an hour max, but that isn't how things went.
We to go fishing around 4pm, drove up the canyon about 4 miles and pulled off the side of the road. Hobblecreek is a little creek at this point, not too much water, but enough. We started walking up stream, fishing as we went. There were places where we had to get out of the stream and walk around because of trees and overgrowth. Anyway, I lost site of Jake and started fishing a little pocket. I cast a few times and as I was about to pull my line back to recast and I felt a pull on my line. Since there were so many trees, I thought I had snagged a tree, but to my surprise, a fish darted up stream with my line following behind. After I realized I had a fish on my line, I began reeling him in. Since fly rods are so long (mine is only 7 feet) it feels alot different. When I got the fish to me, it was a tiny German Brown Trout with beautiful orange spots. I quickly got the hook out and held it in the water till it swam away. My first fish on a fly rod. Not bad for having fly fished for all of about 45 minutes before catching it. After a while, I decided it was getting time to go but I couldn't find Jake. I drove up and down the creek honking my horn and yelling but I didn't find him. I ended up waiting by the car. About 30 minutes later, Jake came walking down the road with a nice 12 inch trout. It was now about 6pm and I knew that I had lots to do still. I took Jake home then went out and bought the rest of the things that I needed for the trip.
I called Deni. She had gone to a ward potluck dinner with the kids, without me. She had asked me earlier in the day if we had planned on going but I dind't think she would go alone. I sure felt dumb. However it sounded like she enjoyed it and met some nice people.
Tomorrow will be interesting for me, I guess we will see how it goes.