Monday, August 22, 2005

Meet Miss Matthews

I spent the majority of the day today, backing up my work laptop to DVD and then fdisking. I had it dual booted with Windows XP and Novell Linux Desktop 9 (NLD9). I decided it was finally time to ditch Micrsoft and single boot with NLD9. I'm still in the process of getting everything configured, but am making progress. Since I still support products on Windows, I will probably create a Windows XP VMware image.

I left work around 2:15pm today to go with Deni, Sydney and Ryan to meet Ryan's first grade teacher. Her name is Miss Matthews. She really didn't talk to us much, but she showed Ryan around the room and where his name was, where he would put his backpack,etc. I guess the meet the parents night is later on. It looks like there are 20 kids in Ryan's Kindergarten class. I figured there would be more kids, so it is good that there are only 20. However twenty 5 yr olds can be very overwhelming, I'm sure. As we walked through the school, the teachers had their pictures on the doors. Most of them looked like High Schoolers, but I guess they are at least 21, to have a 4 yr degree. Kinda odd that the teachers are quite a bit younger than Deni and I.

After meeting Ryan's teacher, Ryan and I went to drop off some boxes at a friends, to my parents to pick up a few things, then to the dump to take some large trash. We werer going to go fishing, till I remember the back of the truck was loaded with trash. After going to the dump, Ryan and I drove up to Spanish Oaks reservoir. That is a nice place. We are planning on going swimming and fishing up there tomorrow. It is only 10 minutes from the house.

Tonight for FHE, we talked to Ryan about our fire alarms. I pushed the button on one, so he knew what they sounded like. Apparently, all our fire alarms are connected, as when I set one off, the rest of them went off too. It was good. We showed him how to feel the door to see if it was hot, and if it was, to go to his window, open it, climb out and then start yelling for help. Obviously we hope we never have to have a fire, but thought it would be smart to walk through what we would do if it happened.

Finally tonight, I downloaded DVD Shrink, which is a free utility that allows you to back up your own DVD's. I'm going to back up all my DVD's, and keep the orginals out of the kids hands. That way if they get scratched or cracked, then we will burn another one. It takes about an hour a DVD, so I will do it slowly, since we have lots of DVD's.