Saturday, May 17, 2008

Yard work

I've always struggled keeping weeds out of the flowerbeds in our backyard, especially the flowerbed that sits infront of our back fence. As I was walking to my carpool one morning this past week, I looked over the back fence to see why so many weeds come under the fence and into my yard. Both of the neighbors behind me have grass go right up the fence and it was quite tall. So I decided I was going to go in their backyard, weedeat their side of the fence and then spray some grass/weed killer so that it doesn't come through the fence. I'm brilliant. I wish I would have thought of that 2 years ago when I moved in.

So tonight, armed with a weedeater and grass/weed killer, I knocked on my neighbors doors and asked if I could weedeat and then spray their back fence (its actually my fence, just their side of my fence). It was kind of awkward asking them, however after they agreed that I could do it, I think the 20 minutes I spent in their backyards will help me keep the weeds down in my yard. Who knows, now that I've knocked on their door and done it for them once, maybe they'll keep it up so I don't have to do it again. Either way, I'd rather do it than have to constantly weed the back flowerbed.

I was also able to finish a few other yard things I've been attempting to accomplish for a while but haven't had the time. I finished automating my garden spots. No more watering for me. It's all programed. All 3 garden spots, as well as the 3 raspberry boxes. Now that the garden is planted and the water is automated, all I have to do is wait a few months and I'll have fruits and vegetables.

I was also able to mow and fertilize the lawn. I really enjoy mowing the lawn. I know people think I'm weird for saying that, but I truly enjoy it. I'm not sure why I like mowing lawns so much, but maybe I like mowing lawns because of the successful lawn business I had as a kid, maybe not. I'm pretty picky on lawn mowing. I usually mow my lawn at an angle, today as I mowed, I mowed at an 90 degree angle from the last mowing. When I was finished, my lawn looked like the baseball fields you see on TV. Deni says I won't let her mow the lawn, which is not true. I'll let her mow the lawn, I just want her to mow it a certain way, which is probably why I always mow the lawn. It's like vacuuming, it always looks nice when you have the vacuum lines straight in the carpet. Ok maybe I have OCD.