Friday, May 02, 2008

Automating my gardens

I love planting and reaping the benefits of a garden each year, however I always hate going out watering. Sometimes I forgot to water, sometimes I leave the water on for hours and flood the garden and all surrounding areas. Since we moved to Spanish Fork and built a garden, I've wanted to automate the watering but haven't done it.

I found out why I haven't done it in the past after a quick visit to Sprinkler World. I left with a bunch of little parts and a $150+ bill. Sprinklers are expensive, especially drip irritation systems. Both houses we have owned always came complete with finished yards. After a few hours at Sprinkler world, I'm very grateful for that.

My dad met me at Sprinkler World and we attempted to get all the parts we needed to automate my garden. About an hour and a half later, we left. I didn't think it would take that long to get the parts.

We headed home and stopped by Wendy's to get a quick bite to eat. Dad brought my nephew, Dawson, with him to play with Sydney (they are 2 weeks apart in age). So I went through the Wendy's drive though to get a quick bite to eat for Sydney, Dawson and myself. (Dad wasn't hungry yet. Since retiring, my parents don't eat breakfast until about 11am.)

For the next 3 hours, dad and I worked on getting my raspberries and garden spots automated.

I've been doing square foot gardening for the last couple of years. This year I added raspberries to the mix. I built three different boxes. They are 16 foot by 1 foot spot, and a 5 foot by 1 foot spot and finally a 9 foot by 1 foot spot for raspberries. I now have these three boxes automated so I don't have to remember to water them.

I also have 3 garden spots. They are 10 feet by 4 feet, another 10 feet by 4 feet and finally a 10 foot by 2 foot spot. We got these garden spots mostly done before my dad had to leave. They are close enough that I'll be able to finish them tomorrow.

Even though it snowed a few days ago, gardening time is coming quick. In Utah, right after Mothers day it is usually safe enough to plant, as we usually don't get frost after that, however this year the weather seems to be a little colder than usual.