Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fathers and Sons Campout

Last night was our Ward's father and sons campout up Spanish Fork Canyon. I invited my nephew Landon to come with Ryan and I. We left right after Ryan's very last soccer game of this season. We got up to the camping spot around 8:30pm. With little light left, we got the tent setup quickly. Of course it got dark and cold today and looked like we were going to get rained on pretty good.

We played a few games like Pass the Pigs, which is a great game for all ages. I sat around the campfire while Ryan and Landon watched movies (one movie in a 5th wheel trailer) and another family brought a projector and projected a movie on the side of a white utility trailer. I really wouldn't consider sitting in a 5th wheel trailer watching movies as camping, however Ryan and Landon seemed to have a fun time.

We got to bed very late. At 11:15pm, Ryan and I climbed into bed, however we unluckily placed our tent next to the utility trailer being used a projector screen, so until the movie was over (about 11:45pm) we couldn't go to sleep. Landon came into the tent around 11:45pm after the movie was over.

It did sprinkle on us a little bit over night, but we were able to remain warm and dry.

We got up this morning, ate breakfast (provided by the ward) and then cleaned up camp and headed down into Spanish Fork to go fishing.



This is my nephew Landon, in front of our tent.



Ryan wanted to take Landon to our "secret" fishing spot. For the first 30 - 45 minutes I kept worms and hooks on the poles, until I realized Landon had caught 4 fish, Ryan had caught 1 and I hadn't caught anything. I did help Ryan and Landon with their poles, but I started to focus on my fishing too.

At the end of the day, Landon and I had each caught 16 fish. We threw them all back, but had a great time catching and releasing them. We caught mostly Rainbow trout, however there were a few albino trout (had red eyes, completely white, with a yellow stripe).