Time is getting short for our last minute training before the 2008 Spring Salem Triathlon. Deni and I decided to hire a babysitter for this morning so that we could go train together in Salem. We left the house at 9:30am. We were riding by about 9:50am. I planned on riding more up Payson Canyon but the wind was horrible this morning so I just rode the 20k bike route.
Deni left about 5 to 10 minutes before I did and I was attempting to catch her but never was able to. I did pass her, but I still had about a half of a mile to climb up Payson Canyon as she was flying down the canyon. I continued up the hill to the turn around point and started flying down myself. Payson Canyon Road isn't the smoothest road I've ridden, but I was able to stay right around 28-31 mph all the way down the Canyon. I never did catch up to Deni. I finished the ride in just over 42 minutes. Deni had finished a few minutes ahead of me, but had dropped her bike, transitioned to the run and ran the 5k race route while I waited for her. I saw her running across the bridge as I came into the parking lot. Deni finished her run just in time for me to load the bikes and make it home by 11:30am. 2 hrs at 2 bucks per kid per hour, that's $8 bucks for Deni and I to exercise together. $8 bucks may not sound too expensive, but if we do it each week, that's $32 bucks a month just to exercise together. Exercising is expensive! If I went to a movie and spent $8 bucks, I could at least say I spent $8 bucks for a movie. All I can say is I spent $8 to ride my bike up a big hill without my kids. WhooooHoooo.
Actually the time is well spent. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to start doing triathlons was to beat Deni, uh, I mean spend more time with Deni. Yeah spending more time is good. It's always a good feeling to go riding with Deni. I look forward to being able to bike with her into our Golden years, when we can tour around the United States on bikes.
The rest of the day we spent in our yard. A flowerbed on the side of our hose was so overgrown with weeds, I had forgotten that there were actual plants under those weeds. It's amazing how nice it looks now. When Deni and I were about 90% complete, she reminded me that I should have taken before and after pictures. As we were weeding, we found 4 or 5 different bugs that I've never seen before. We gathered them up for Ryan (as he loves bugs, and learning about bugs) and put them in his bug catcher. We also harvest worms (Deni found them but wouldn't touch them) for a potential fishing trip on Monday.