Friday, May 02, 2008

Digital SLR's make you a rock star

A few years back, we spent a large chunk of our tax return on a Digital SLR. I bought a Canon 20D and love it ever since. It was a big purchase for us at the time but was the best use of that money at the time. I love how fast I can capture pictures, especially action photos. I always wondered how photographers captured such good action photos and after getting a Digital SLR myself, I started to understand. I can take 6 to 8 picture a second. I'm not saying that photographers aren't skilled in what they do, but with a Digital SLR on fast mode, you can shoot alot of pictures in a short amount of time and pick the best one.

My brother bought a zoom lens (70mm-300mm) for his Canon and he didn't like it, so my let left it with my dad to use. My dad bought a different lens, so I "borrowed" my brothers for a bit. I used it at Ryan's soccer game tonight for the first time. I took 62 pictures in about 40 minutes. (At 5mb a piece, I'm going to have to get a bigger hard drive soon.) Not all of them are high quality pictures, however I captured quite a few that made Ryan look like a very aggressive professional soccer player.

The team Ryan was playing against didn't have enough players so Ryan volunteered to play on the other team. It's a good thing he did, as because of his generosity, his "temporary" team won.

Here's a few of the pics I captured tonight.









Ryan also had the opportunity to play the goalie or keeper tonight. I'm not sure what draws everyone to want to be a goalie, but without a doubt, 90% of the team wants to play goalie.



Not really an action picture, but I liked how it looked.



After the soccer game, Ryan got a Gatorade and a treat. As we drove home, Ryan said - "Dad, this is totally right, Gatorade does quench your thirst." I asked him what "quench" meant and he didn't know. I thought that was funny.