Saturday, May 10, 2008

Garden time

It's that time again. Time to plant the garden. After I got home from the Father/Sons campout, we headed into Springville to drop off Landon, as well as stop at the Nursery in Springville to purchase the plants for our garden.

Our garden is 100 Square Feet, in 3 garden spots. I have two 4ft x 10ft garden spots and one 2ft x 10ft garden spots.

We bought and are going to plant the following:

10 Roma Tomato plants
2 Early girl tomato plants
1 Beefmaster tomato plants
13 total tomato plants in all.

1 tomato plant takes up 4 square feet, so 13 x 4 = 52 square feet. Half our garden will be tomatoes.

We are also planing 1 squash (4 sq ft), 1 zucchini (4 sq ft), 8 potatoes (8sq ft), 2 cucumbers (2 sq ft), 4 squares of carrots. The rest of the garden will be 8 sq ft of onions, 5 sq ft of jalepeno peppers, 5 sq ft of Anaheim peppers, with 8 squares left for some marigolds (to help with garden pests.)

That is 100 sq ft of the available 100 sq ft being used. I started officially square foot gardening last year but had been doing something similar for the other years. As you can see, you can have a large garden in a small amount of space. I'm looking forward to making more salsa this year than last.

I also bought 2 pumpkin plants that we will plant by the trampoline. We tried pumpkins last year for the first time and enjoyed having 8-10 pumpkins for carving around Halloween.