Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Village of Ilminster

It's been raining all day. Matter of fact, I don't think a day has gone by without rain here. 7 day forecast shows more rain. However, the rain stopped just long enough for me to grab my camera and head into town. I moved hotels after getting back from Paris. I'm now in the Village of Ilminster, Somerset, England.

A few pictures of my outing today.

Looking out the window of my hotel room.



Some of the older houses here have a thatched roof. Thatching is the craft of covering a roof with dry vegetation such as straw, water reed, sedge, rushes and heather, layering the vegetation so as to shed water away from the inner roof. After a while (with all this rain) moss grows on top of the roof.



Here's what it looks like up close. This looks like a newer roof compare to what I've seen around.



The old church in town.




We don't make churches like we used to. Last week I walked into this church. The stained glass was amazing.




Another hillside view. It's so beautiful and green here. I'm afraid to go back and see my dead yellow lawn.