Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Happy Birthday from the UK

I landed at 9am UK time (2am MST) in Bristol, England. I was excited yet tired. They woke me about 7:30am UK time to offer breakfast on the plane. I had passed up the dinner they offered 6 hours earlier, so I thought it would be a good idea to eat as I wasn't sure when I'd have the chance to eat again.

When I landed it was raining. (pouring) I had to walk off the plane, through the rain into the Airport. I then got into a line to show my passport. As I got to the front of the line, the lady asked me what I was going in the UK and I couldn't think of what to say. I started mumbling about Novell buying a company in the UK and that I had traveled to come learn the product, or something like that. The lady looked at me and said, "So you came here for training?" I looked at her and said, "You said that much better than I did." I think a combination of lack of sleep and also being nervous of what was happening around me made me fumble for words.

I picked up my rental car, that happened to be 3 parking lots away (did I mention it was pouring rain?) After stalling it a few times, I was able to get out of the parking lot and on the road. It was odd driving on the left side of the road.

I headed in the direction that I thought my destination was (without a map.) About 5 miles into the drive I decided that I needed to stop. I stopped and asked where Ilminster was, the Gas Station attendant had no clue. I looked for maps in the Gas Station, but there were no good maps for the area, so I continued on. I came across another gas station and took my chances. This time I found a map (2 pounds), but I couldn't use a Credit card for anything under 5 pounds, so I ended up buying a few drinks (Sprite) for the road to get my bill over 5 pounds. Luckily, the ladies working in the gas station knew where I was going (and I was on the right route.)

I was quite confused with the road signs. I thought that things were in kilometers here in the UK, but came to find out that they were actually in miles per hour, so I guess in need to apologize to whoever was driving behind me, as I was attempting to follow the speedlimit. I guess that England is the only hold out for not using kilometers per hour and the Euro.

I had the phone number of the guys I was coming to visit, but I didn't know how to dial from my cell. That didn't stop me from trying a few times, but I was unsuccessful in getting my call to go through. I continued to drive and made a few wrong turns, but finally made it to Ilminster, Somerset England around 11am.

I got the tour of the Ilminster office, which took about 2 minutes. It's a two room office, with everyone in the same big room.

I spent a few hours at the office then headed to my hotel.




I was exhausted but didn't want to go to sleep yet as I wanted to attempt to adjust to the timezone.

Today is my baby's birthday. Happy Birthday Sydney.



I'm sad that I'm not there to celebrate with her, however I was able to call her, as I brought my vonage phone with me, so I can call home whenever I want. Having my vonage phone with me, will be my saving grace from being gone for so long.