Today I went Ice fishing with Deni, Ron and my Dad at Scofield.
This was Ron's first time ice fishing, so we tried to get everything perfect so he could catch some fish.
We left on time and got up to Scofield about the time the sun was starting to come up (about 7am). I got out and started getting the snowmobiles ready and another car drove up. Two older gentlemen got out and it wasn't too long before Dad had made another new best fishing buddy. This time, one of these men was a "Professional Fisherman" that was testing some special formula he is working on.
I'm sure these 2 men pulled up, they saw a free ride across the lake with Dad's snowmobiles and struck up a conversation to see so they wouldn't have to walk out on the lake.
We got ready and headed out to our fishing spot. As soon as we got there, Dad took off to help his buddies out on the lake. The ice was deep. I was wondering if I was going to be able to get through the ice before I ran out of thread on the ice auger. Luckily, Dad owns a power ice auger.
I was going to bring my hand ice auger and require Ron to hand drill his first hole,(since it was his first time ice fishing) as his right of passage to be a ice fisherman, but I forgot to put it in the truck. The ice was probably 2 to 3 feet thick, so it's a good thing for Ron that I forgot it.
We fished for a long time without any bites at all. After visiting the "Professional" fishermans ice hole, it was decided that we should move all our stuff over by them, as they were catching fish. My dad took Ron over and left him with these two men for about 30 minutes. During that time Ron was able to catch 2 fish, so he was able to catch fish, which was great.
However the rest of us got skunked. Since the fishing was so slow and the there was about a foot of new snow, I took the opportunity to go snowmobiling with my dad. When I came back, I took Deni out. She wasn't too thrilled with the places I wanted to go. She would squeeze me with her legs when I started on a path she didn't think was acceptable or iffy.
I had a great time despite not catching any fish.