Thursday, March 20, 2008

Beat the Experts

I didn't get enough sleep last night. I got into bed at 12:20am and my alarm went off at 6:00am this morning.

I had to be in SLC to teach at 8:30am.

As I drove into SLC, it was raining and trying to snow. I had a hard time staying awake as I drove, but after breakfast I was ready to teach my session.

This session didn't go as well as the afternoon Tuesday session. The attendance was about half of the Tuesday afternoon session and was early in the morning after a late concert. However, the session still went well.

I spent the rest of the day attending other technical sessions until 5:30pm. I caught a quick bite to eat before the "Meet the Experts" night kicked off at 6pm. "Meet the Experts" is a 4 hour event where customers (Brainshare attendees) are invited to the Salt Palace to mingle with the Developers and Technical Support Staff from Novell and ask them any question they want. I'm pretty sure most of Brainshare attendees come because there is free food and an open bar. Yes there is free alcohol.

The Novell employees stand around waiting for the attendees to come up and ask a question about our specific specialty. I think that "Meet the Experts" should really be called "Beat the Experts". By the time you are done with 4 hours straight of questions from customers, (some are drunk customers by the end of the night) you are beat, tired, ready to go home, etc.

I left at 9:30pm for home. I was going on 5 hrs of sleep and had an hour drive home, so I didn't feel too bad leaving 30 minutes early. I called and talked to Deni on the way home to make sure I could get home.