As always, we were running a bit late, so I dropped Deni and the kids off at the park and went to find a parking spot on the next street. There were probably 1000 people there as this is quite a popular event. (some of the eggs the kids find have prizes written on a paper inside, such as a bike, or some other large present.) They got smart this year and made all parents stay off the field, kids only. When we went last year, parents were grabbing eggs for their kids and running around carrying their kids. It was pretty crazy last year.
The Easter egg hunt started at 10am and when I caught up to Deni and the kids, it was about 9:53am. Deni took Ryan and I took Sydney, as they egg hunt was split up by age. They didn't have the ages posted, so I guessed by the size of Sydney to the other kids waiting. About 2 minutes before the egg hunt was going to start, I overheard someone say that where we were standing was for the 5 to 6 yr olds. By that time, it was too late to take Sydney and find the right age group for her, as if we moved, we'd miss the egg hunt. It literally starts at 10:00am and ends and 10:02am. At last it started and off Sydney went. She kept up with the 5 and 6 year olds and was able to hold her own. When I caught up to her, she had 12 eggs in her basket. I wonder how many she would have gotten if she was in the right age group. They had asked that the kids only get 8 eggs, so I think she did just fine in the older group. Because she had so many more eggs than she was supposed to have, I explained to her that she had too many and we needed to give some away. We took 4 out and gave it to a little girl that only had 2 eggs. Sydney had her 8 eggs. As we were walking out to find Deni, there was a little boy standing in the field all by himself crying. As I got closer, I noticed he had no eggs. I asked Sydney if she would share with him and give him 2 eggs. She took 2 from her basket and gave them to the little boy, which stopped crying immediately. At the same time, another little girl gave the boy a egg too. I was proud of Sydney giving up her eggs and sharing with others that weren't as swift in gathering eggs.
Here is Sydney before the egg hunt.
Ryan wasn't as lucky as Sydney in the 7 and 8 year old group. He ran and tried hard, but came up empty. He was sad too, however a city worker took the ones from the older group that didn't get anything and made sure they got a few eggs. So they gave Ryan 4 eggs.
Here is Ryan in his running stance waiting for the start of the egg hunt.
Sydney after getting her eggs.
We didn't win any "big" prizes, but the kids got candy and a few coupons (free bowling, free milk shake, etc.)