Friday, December 23, 2005

Ice fishing Scofield

We all slept at my parents house last night so we could wake up early and go ice fishing. My mom agreed to watch Sydney, so Deni, Ryan and I went ice fishing. We left around 6am and headed towards Scofield, which is about an hour away from Spanish Fork up Highway 6. As we were driving up highway 6 we hit quite a bit of black ice not even 5 minutes later we saw a small truck that had slid off the road. Others had stopped to help them, so we continued on. We missed the turn off to Scofield. Actually the truck would not stop, so we slid past it. Made a U turn and we were on our way. When we got to the Scofield Dam, a punk kid had lost control of his car and ran into the barrier by the dam. We stopped and pulled him off, as his car was stuck on the barrier. He had quite the fowl mouth. We offered our cell phone for him to call someone. I told him he would have to dial 801, as it was long distance. I had forgotten that down here the area code was 435. So he dialed a few times and couldn't get through. He mention 435 being the area code, then he asked me if he had to dial 801 then 435. I thought that was odd, but told him to then dial 435 then the phone number. Afterwards dad told me he smelt alcohol on his breathe, which make more sense now. He finally got through to his Grandmother. The first thing he said was "Grandma, I didn't wreck the car, ok well I did wreck the car but it isn't that bad" I've never heard so many 4 letter words in a single sentence (and he was talking to his Grandma).

After about 30-45 minutes helping him, we finally got on the road to fish. We got to the place and headed out on the ice. Dad had purchased a new power ice auger, which makes a huge difference. We went about 50 yards off bank and drilled a few holes. Within a few minutes, Deni had caught the first fish. It was a little 6 inch trout. We stayed there for a few more minutes and since nothing was biting, Dad and I ran off with the ice auger and his fish finder to find a better place. We all moved over towards the island in Scofield lake, but still had no luck there.




Deni had to go to the bathroom, so she took the snowmobile. Before she left, I made sure she could start it on her own, which she did. She was gone for about 30 minutes, so Ryan and I took the other snowmobile and went looking for her. We drove over to the truck, but didn't see her, so came back. Another 30 minutes went by, still no Deni. Just when I was going to go look for her, I looked back towards the truck and saw her about 50 feet away, she couldn't get the snowmobile started and decided to walk. We clocked it when we went back, to see how far she had walked. It was a mile, which in snowboots and walking on ice with 2 inches of snow on top, isn't easy and probably felt like 5 miles.

Since the fish weren't biting, I decided to play in the ice. I fist pushed the snow away from the hole we had drilled and notice the ice was very clear and it looked like a black hole. I laid down and put my face in the ice hole and noticed the water was very clear as well and I could actually see the bottom of the lake. We were about 12 feet of water.

Since the ice was so clear, I decided to put my hand in the water and touch the bottom of the ice. The ice was about 8 inches thick and the water was a chilly 42 degrees. For the time it took me to get a picture of my hand in the water, my hand and arm were numb.



At about 1pm we decided to call it a day and head back. Despite not catching any fish, it was fun to be out on the ice with Deni and Ryan and try. I tried to get Ryan to tell everyone that I caught the only fish and everyone else got skunked, but he wanted to be honest and tell everyone that Deni was the only one to catch a fish.