Nothing says "I love you" like a Fedex tracking number. Let me start at the beginning. I despise Valentines day. As I told a co-worker yesterday, I dislike Valentines Day because I'm cheap, actually I'm not cheap, I'm frugal. I hate the fact that prices jump 50% or more on flowers and other things that are customary on Valentines Day. So for the last 11 years of marriage, Deni has grown accustomed to not getting anything for Valentines Day.
For once in my life, I decided that I should do something for Valentines day. I ordered Deni a dozen red roses on (Jan 22nd) and paid for overnight shipping by Fedex to be delivered on Valentines Day. How could you go wrong with FTD and Fedex? All was going well yesterday, I got a confirmation email stating my flowers had shipped Fedex Overnight and would arrive by 3pm today. As I dropped Ryan off for school, I let him in on my secret but swore him to secrecy, he agreed. Ryan gets out of school at 2:30 so I thought the flowers would be there by the time he got home. Turns out they weren't. When I got home at 5pm they still weren't here but Ryan had kept his secret, that is until dinner.
While we were eating dinner, Ryan said something about "Deni's present". Deni immediately perked up and I felt like I had a spotlight shinning on me. By this time, it was 6pm and I was starting to doubt that Fedex was going to actually get the flowers to us. So I told Deni that I had ordered her something that was supposed to be here today by 3pm but it wasn't here. To prove my point, I pulled up the Fedex tracking number and told her Happy Valentines Day. The flowers actually made it to Utah overnight but then sat in SLC all day. Very frustrating.
The flowers actually came today at 1:55pm, a day late. It defeated the purpose but I guess it's the thought that counts. Deni liked them and was happy to have flowers, even if they were one day late. What's one day when you've been waiting for 11 years.