It's funny, I go to my dentist and he always knows my name and at least seems interested in me. Anyway, about 5 years ago, I was told that by looking at my eye, I have the symptoms of Glaucoma. They ran several tests, even sent me to a specialist to verify my eyes were fine, which they are. However every time I go in, the Dr looks at my eye, freaks out, then looks at my chart and sees that we're monitoring things and I've been to a specialist and things look fine. He then breaks into the story about what Glaucoma is and brings up the slideshow to show me what a eye looks like that has Glaucoma, etc, etc. At a minimum, it would be nice if he were to look at my chart 2 minutes before, come in call me by name and say, "we're monitoring your for Glaucoma, let's take a look and verify things are still good. I think he's a great eye Dr but how hard is it to look at a dang chart or just remember a patient that's been coming to you for 5+ years.
As part of my "monitoring" I've had to take Field Vision tests, which is a test that makes me push a button every time I see a little light. After what feels like 15 minutes, they plot where I was able to see the random dots to see if I have any vision loss. This time he took me in and they had a digital camera (Canon 30D) hooked up to some fancy machine and they took a picture of my eye. I wish I could get a copy of that picture, as it somehow takes a picture of the back of my eye. The picture looked something like this.
Apparently my cup is bigger than normal, as shown in this picture. The Dr thinks I was born this way. All I can say is my cup is bigger than yours.
The other thing I don't understand about Eye Dr appointments is this. They dilate your eyes, put you in a dimly lite room, then use some fancy magnifying glass to shoot an extremely bright light into your eye and expect you to keep your eye open while they are looking it. I wonder sometimes if my eye is going to actually catch on fire. After the Dr is done and you are free to go, they always give you some ugly sunglasses to wear to protect your eyes. Didn't they just take a bright light, pump it through a magnifying glass and aim it at my eye? Wouldn't you think that the magnifying glass would do more harm than the sun? Next time I'm going to take those ugly disposable sunglasses with me and wear them through my appointment and refuse to take them off.