Saturday, February 02, 2008

Date with my daughter = Priceless

We attended Evan Williams baptism today in Lindon, UT. Evan is the son of Ben Williams, a friend of mine from my freshman year at BYU. Evan's baptism reminded of a few things. First, it reminded me that Ben Williams is old. I guess that means that I'm getting old too as Ryan is 7 and we will be doing the baptism thing later this summer. The second thing it reminded me of was the church MUST be true. There were a set of missionaries at the baptism that cover that ward. Who other than God himself would have thought that sending out 19 year old immature boys to spread the "good news" would be a wise thing. For the record, at 19, I was much more mature than the missionaries these days.

After the baptism, we went to the Williams home to do the customary brunch with friends and family and while we were there we also watched the Funeral of President Gorden B. Hinckley. We had a great time visiting with Ben and his family. Ryan and Evan play so well together you would think that they lived next door to each other for years.

Tonight was our date night. I took Sydney out on a date with Dad. We started out the night by stopping at McDonalds to pick up a quick bite to eat as we headed to Provo for a movie. On the drive to Provo Sydney told me she was going to be a cheerleader and that "when I come back alive" I can come see here be a cheerleader (referring to her being a BYU cougarette). I told her that I wasn't that old and that I would be alive when she went to college.

She also started singing too. She same the Primary song, "I Love to see the Temple" She said, "I love to see the Temple, I'm going in someday." (real lyrics - "I love to see the Temple, I'm going there someday..."

We got to Movies 8 in Provo about 6:40pm and got our tickets to see the "Bee Movie" starting at 7:05pm. It was a pretty good movie, but it had way too much adult humor in it. I laughed quite a few times, and I'd look over and Sydney would have a blank look on her face. I wouldn't have wanted to pay full price to see it, but for $1.50 a ticket, it was a deal. On the way home we stopped and got a little ice cream. I thought Sydney was asleep but as soon as I asked her if she wanted an ice cream, she immediately perked back up and said she was awake and would like to have some ice cream.

It's been nice to have individual dates with the kids. It's a time where I can give my whole attention to my child and talk to them about whatever is on there mind. Deni and I sure have enjoyed spending time with the kids this way. It seems we always have some fun story to tell by the end of the night.

Dinner at McDonalds = $5.47
Bee Movie Tickets = $3.00
Ice Cream = $1.32
Date with my daughter = Priceless