After months and months of attempting to get my Varsity Scouts signed up for a Scout Varsity Triathlon, 6 of them signed up on the last days for registration and about 2 weeks before the big event. (They all signed up right before we left for California - 2 weeks ago)
My hope was to have them commit months ago and then spend that last 3 months training and getting ready, but it didn't work out that way.
However I'm excited they signed up. The day has finally come and the big day is tomorrow. 6 boys signed up, they will be racing as 1 individual, one team of three and one team of 2, and of course myself as an individual. The race starts in the Springville pool with an 200 meter swim, followed by a 8.8 mile bike ride to Spanish Fork, and finally a 2.2 mile run.
Deni recommended that we invite the boys that are racing over the night before, for a carbo-load dinner. So I did. And Deni cooked an amazing meal. (as usual)
All six of the boys showed up and were treated to a pasta and Parmesan chicken dinner. We cooked the chicken in a dutch oven. As always, the meal was great. After the meal, we all hopped in the van and drove the bike and run route, so the boys would be familiar with it tomorrow.
Over the last few months, in an attempt to get the boys interested to sign up for the triathlon, I threw out a number of "incentives" for them. The first one was if they could beat my time during the race, I'd let them shave my head. They actually rejected it. They said it wasn't worth it. However secretly, I think they knew old Bro Berger could beat them. Since they rejected it, I took it off the table completely. Ultimately, non of my "incentives" did much, so I went to the source - you guessed it- Moms. I told Moms and Dads about the race and that we were doing it as a team and surprisingly enough, boys magically got signed up. Lesson learned.
However to help with the morale, I told them I'd bike and run in a tuxedo shirt and bow tie. Each time I brought it up, they thought this was funny and looked forward to seeing me bike and run in it. Little did they know it was my bike "tux" shirt I got for Christmas this year. They'll see it tomorrow.