Typically we aren't TV people. Yes there are a few shows we watch, but for the last 10 years we've been able to get by without cable. (Actually we have cable but the very basic cable ($8 bucks a month through the city).
The problem is we really enjoy watching the Tour de France. Last year I used a bittorrent client and downloaded some UK coverage of the Tour, the year before we watched most of it at my parents house, etc. However this year I wanted to be able to watch it in the comfort of my own house. So I upgraded our cable to get the Channel "Versus", which has coverage of the Tour.
The Tour de France is an amazing bike race, matter of fact, it's THE bike race.
This year, the Tour de France starts today (Saturday July 5th) and continues to Sunday July 27th 2008 and it is the 95th Tour de France. It is made up of 21 stages (days) and covers a total distance of 3,500 kilometers. (about 2,174 miles) That is the same distance from Los Angeles, CA to Atlanta, GA (which is only 300 miles off of riding from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean or completely across the United States.)
This morning I set my alarm for 6:25am so I could get up and watch the first day of the tour. Coverage began at 6:30 am MST and went for 3 hours. It's amazing to watch.
For our 20th Anniversary (it's going to take me 9 years to save for it), Deni and I are going to go to France during the tour and spend a week there. My hopes are to watch a few stages as well as take our bikes and ride some of the same roads. Until then, I'll keep watching the tour.