Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Oh you damn fool, spit it out it's a fly

My Grandma Berger used to tell the following story (quite a bit).

There was a time when my Grandma Berger's mother went to work. This left my Grandma and her sister (Leatha) at home alone while their mother worked. Apparently, my Grandma Berger and her sister would work for 5 minutes and then play for 10 minutes. When they would play, they played a game of "Open your mouth". The game consisted of one of them closing their eyes and opening their mouth, while the other put a surprise in their mouth. Leatha found a piece of candy and surprised Grandma Berger with it. Then Grandma Berger found a raisin and surprised Leatha with it. At each turn, they would try to get something better. Finally it was Grandma Berger's turn again. She looked around and didn't know what to do next...and then saw a little dead fly. With Leatha's eyes closed and mouth open, Grandma Berger put the fly in her sisters mouth. When Leatha closed her mouth, Grandma Berger yelled "Oh you damn fool, spit it out it's a fly."

Why do I tell this story. First of all, it's pretty funny. Second I was riding my bike to work this morning. I was cruising along at about 21 miles an hour when some sort of bug flew into my mouth and felt like it hit the back of my throat. As I was trying to get this bug out of my mouth by spitting, I thought of my Grandma Berger's story of putting a dead fly in her sisters mouth.

I finally got it out of my mouth and learned a valuable lesson. Keep your mouth shut while riding your bike.