Monday, July 21, 2008

Happy Birthday Sydney

Today was Sydney's 5th birthday.

It's hard to believe that my baby is 5 years old already. When I put her to bed last night and told her that her birthday was tomorrow, she got so excited - she even kicked her feet in excitement.

As I would assume, Sydney woke up quite happy this morning. Before I left for work, we gave Sydney her gift, a brand new, 2 wheeled, pink razor scooter. She wasted no time jumping on it and making our living room a race way. She went around and around the couch until it made me dizzy watching her.



I drove into work today, as I planned on leaving early to come home to help Deni with Sydney's birthday party. Deni called me just before I was leaving, around 2:30pm telling me that Sydney had an accident on her scooter and that she might have broken her leg/foot. When I got home, Sydney was happy, but crawling from place to place. She wouldn't put any pressure on her left foot. I tried to get her to walk on it, but it was pretty apparent that she was hurt pretty bad. I got home right about 3pm, which happened to be the time when all the kids were coming to her party. Since her birthday is in July, what better than a swimming pool party in the backyard. A great idea, if you can walk. I spent then next 2 hours carrying Sydney from place to place while she watched her friends play the games Deni had setup for the party. She was quite happy, despite her foot, unless she accidentally put pressure on her foot, which is the case in this picture, I think.




Of course, what's a birthday without a few presents.



Sydney invited 2 boys and 4 girls (and of course her brother too.)



After Sydney's birthday party, we headed to the doctor to see if her foot was broken. I made the mistake of telling Sydney that the doctor would take a picture of her foot, just like when the cartoon figures get struck by lightening. In my mind, I was picturing a cartoon figure being struck by lightening and his skeleton showing up, but I wasn't apparently thinking too well in my attempt to explain it to her. After I made that comment, I got that look from Deni like I was retarded (which after thinking about it, I was.) Next came the fun part, fighting her to lay calm enough to get an xray of her foot.

Turns out there were no bones broken, just a nasty sprain. Sydney got a boot, which she can take off for baths and swimming. She has to wear it for the next 1 to 2 weeks. Even with the boot on, she has yet to put pressure on her foot.