Here we are at the "Carb-o-load" the night before the race.

We all stayed at the same RV spot as last year, as it was right across the river from the end of the swim. We were sure glad Mom and Dad had pulled the RV up again this year as it was a warm day.
We woke up at 5:15am, ate and headed for the starting line. We made a quick stop to drop off water bottles at our bikes then when to the starting line. My wave started at 7:10am. I went to use the bathroom and when I came back, I couldn't find anyone. I was trying to get my wetsuit on when I saw my cousin Mike and he helped me zip up my suit.
I got in the water about 5 minutes before start time. At 3 minutes, I decided I was going to swim out to get a better starting position. 30 seconds later, after fighting the current, I decided I better go to back to the side of the river so that I don't have to waste all my energy before the race even started. At one minute to go, I swam back out and got a respectable position. The swim wasn't any different than last year. I felt like I zig-zagged quite a bit this year, but I finished the mile swim in 17 minutes 29 seconds. (thanks to the current) 15 seconds faster than last year.
Ryan caught this picture of me getting out of the swim. I'm still not sure why Ryan had my $1,300 camera with Dad's $400 lens on it. But I guess Grandpa had 2 cameras and was training Ryan to take over as the main photographer someday.

The bike was good. Around mile 21 or so, a large group of riders came up. I decided to stay with them as much as I could. In Triathlons, you aren't supposed to draft at all, however due to the number of riders and the small lane we had, the last few miles I rode with a group of 25 riders or so. It's amazing how your average speed jumps when you are riding with a group of riders. Overall from last year, I was 3 minutes faster this year, than last year.
The run, what can I say. I hate to run. I was able to chop off 5 minutes off the run from last year, but I had a 10:22 minute mile. I know not the greatest, however after going for 2+ hours, I think its ok for someone that 1. doesn't like to run and 2. didn't train as hard for the run.
At mile 4, I was hurting pretty bad. For some reason, my hips and knees were really hurting. I pushed through and made it. I enjoy sprinting the last 50 yards. No matter how bad I'm hurting, I can always kick in the last 50 to 100 yards. I don't want to brag, but the guy behind me looks like he is hurting alot more than I am. There was no way I was going to let someone out sprint me.


Overall, I beat my 2007 time by 8 minutes and 35 seconds. My official time was 2 hours 38 minutes and 3 seconds. I am happy that I beat my time from last year and that is about all that matters. I'll continue to train and attempt to better my time again next year.

As I crossed the finish line, I saw my cousin Mike who started with me. My first thought was that Mike had been pulled from the race in the swim, however I was wrong, way wrong. Not only was this Mike's first Triathlon, but he past me on the run and didn't say a thing to me. Yes, my cousin Mike Berger beat me by about 9 minutes.
On a sad note, a 60 year old gentleman from Provo died in the swim. This was the first death in the 22 years the race has been held. I was at least 10 miles into the bike when it happened. Deni was just getting out of the swim when she heard the Ambulance.