Saturday, July 05, 2008

Cooking Brownies with the Sun

Deni has been working on completing our year supply of food storage. She's also learning to use and cook the things we have stored. Along with "getting prepared" came the purchase of a Sun Oven. A Sun Oven isn't too complicated of a device. It's a box with mirror-like reflectors and a temperature gage that use the Sun to cook. Deni successfully cooked Lasagna in it a few weeks ago and I thought it was my turn to try it.

Of course, if there ever is an emergency where we would need to use our Sun oven, I want to be sure we are able to cook the important things, like Brownies.

As I said before, the Sun Oven is a simple concept. Point your Sun Oven at the Sun. I set the Sun Oven out to Pre-heat. It was about 250 Degrees when I started.



Hmmmm Brownies cooking.



When I started cooking, it wasn't cloudy, however some clouds came in so it took me longer than normal to cook. The only real instructions are to make sure the Sun Oven has a clear view of the sun, which means you have to adjust it every 30 minutes or so.



The finished product. It took me 2 hours to cook these, however that was due to the clouds and not being able to keep the Oven at the higher temperature.



It was odd going outside and smelling brownies cooking, but was a fun experiment. The brownies were fully cooked, however they did seem to be more moist than cooking them in a conventional oven.