Monday, July 07, 2008

Swimming in poop

As I've said before, it's difficult to find the time for both Deni and I to train at running, biking and swimming and find time to spend with the family and fulfill all our other responsibilities. We came up with the idea of going swimming as a family each Monday night to try an kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone. Deni picked me up from work and we head to the Orem to swim.

Before we got to the pool, we had to make a minor stop at the Boy Scouts of America office to get Deni a Scout uniform. It still amazes me how expensive clothing from a non-profit organization is. We spent about 80 dollars for Deni and Ryan's uniforms and books. (and that was with a 20% discount.)

We also stopped by the bike store to get a new chain for my bike. I never knew this (but it makes sense), but bike chains stretch over time and they need to be replaced roughly every 1500 miles or so. They have a little tool that measures your chain and can tell if it needs to be replaced. I was nearing that mileage on my bike since I bought it 2 years go, so we went ahead and replaced my chain.

Finally we drove to the pool and ate dinner at the park next to the pool. While Deni and the kids were finishing up dinner, I headed in to start my swim. Deni and I have been swimming a mile each and we trade off watching the kids. I was having a pretty good swim today, when on my last lap as I went to turn, I saw a blur standing at the end of the lane. It was Deni and she grabbed me as I was starting my turn. I stopped, stood up and looked at her and she said that they had found poop floating in the pool and I should get out. Call me crazy, but I was one lap (100 meters) away from swimming a mile and I wanted to finish it, however I decided I would get out. Had I finished I would have been under 32 minutes for a mile. Not a great time, but not bad. My fastest time in the pool this year for a mile was 30 minutes 31 seconds.