Monday, January 21, 2008

Ice fishing, or not

In reverence to Martin Luther King, Jr our family decided to go ice fishing on Civil Rights Day.

Wondering what fishing has to do with Martin Luther King, Jr? Me too. In reality, I just got the day off and needed something to do with my time off.

Because ice fishing is started in the wee hours of the morning and we have about an hour and a half drive to our fishing destination, we decided that it would be a good idea to sleep at my parents house so we could just wake up, put the kids in the truck and head out on our adventure.

However, when we watched the news last night, we saw that a rather large snow storm was heading our way. We decided we would play it by ear and see if the weatherman was right. I woke up at 5am to see if there was snow and unfortunately there was about 2 inches or so. Since we had to drive up either Provo Canyon or Spanish Fork Canyon, leaving at 5am when it was snowing didn't sound like something we wanted to do, so I went back to bead. We postponed our ice fishing trip for another day with better weather.

We hung out at Mom and Dad's for most of the day. Mom broke her other ankle on Friday night (I say other ankle as a few years back she broke her ankle on a house boat). This time she missed the last step of the stairs leaving the house. This one won't require pins and screws like the last, but she does have a "boot" on for a while.

When the snow stopped I measured 5 inches of new snow.