Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hike the Y

An out of town friend (Chris) called and stated he was in Provo on business and he wanted to hike the Y after work today. Our kids have never hiked the Y and it's been about 11 years since Deni and I had hiked it together. So even though it was 98 degrees outside, we decided to give it a try.

Deni picked me up just before 5pm and we headed up to the Y. ( I drove.) I had forgotten the correct road to get up to the Y, so we made a few U turns, but eventually made it up to the parking lot.

We were a little pressed for time, as I had Scouts at 7pm, so I sent Deni and the kids up the trail, while I waited for Chris. Chris got there about 10 minutes after Deni and the kids left. We headed up the trail in a brisk walk to catch up to them. Little did I know that Deni and the kids wanted to beat me up to the top, so they had been pushing pretty hard.

Chris and I attempted to talk as we walked the 1000 ft gain. As I was walking, I looked down and saw the key to our car that I had handed to Deni as the left with the kids. This happened to be the only key we had with us. I picked it up and put it in my pocket (thinking I was going to have some fun with it, when she realized it was gone.)

We caught Deni and the kids a few minutes later, however they had made it quite a ways. Ryan looked like he was about to give out, so I put him on my back and carried him until the next switchback.

We made it to the top, but forgot to take pictures while up there. I think it was because I was in a hurry. On the way down, I realized I wasn't going to make it back in time for Scouts. I called the other leader and let him know I was going to be late.

We had Chris take this picture of the family after we realized we had forgotten to take a picture.



After getting back to the van, we had a little picnic out of the back of our van and then we dashed home.

It was good to see Chris and fun to hike the Y. Now my kids can say they hike to the top of the Y.