Saturday, August 22, 2009

Alpine Loop, Salsa, and 50.6mph

Ryan and I survived the campout. We even slept in a little. We got up, took down our tent, ate breakfast and headed home.

Here's a self portrait after we woke up.




Today was the 3rd stage of the Tour of Utah. Today's stage starts in Park City and goes to Snowbird (via Heber, Provo Canyon, Alpine Loop). After stopping at my parents to borrow a camera lens, we headed up towards Sundance Ski resort and up the Alpine Loop to find a spot for the bike race. We found a spot about 2 miles from the summit of the climb and waited for about an hour before they came by.



As we were waiting for the racers, sponsers came by and threw things out. We got a "Tour of Utah" cowbell to ring, Vitiame water, plus the kids each got a Yellow Livestrong wrist band.

As the racers got to us, there was an 8 man break away that was a few minutes ahead of the main peleton.




Regardless if you like bike racing or not, if you've ever driven the Alpine loop, seeing these guys (50 miles into a 100 mile ride) climb the Alpine is impressive.

8 man break away, a little closer.


After a few minutes, this larger group came through.



After all the racers went by, we continued up the Alpine Loop and over down into Alpine. We stopped and caught this quick picture on the way down.



When we got home it was Salsa time. We had a 5 gallon bucket full of tomatoes waiting for us. We sent Sydney out to the garden to pick a few more onions for the Salsa too. 90% of the ingredients came from our garden.



We started the Salsa and got it all done around 7pm, but then Deni and I took a bike ride. (about 15 miles). On the way down Woodland Hills Road, I was going 41mph without peddling, so I thought, I wonder how fast I could get going if I peddled. The answer 50.6mph. I was 10 mph over the speed limit.

After the ride, Deni finished bottling the Salsa, while I ran to the church to set up chairs. A very busy Saturday.