Friday, June 19, 2009

One down, two to go.

Deni signed up to run a 180 mile relay race with some friends and family (not this family.... but rather some cousins on her side Mom's side.) The race is called the Ragnar Relay, more specifically, the Utah version is called the Wasatch Back Relay. The race is from Logan, Ut to Park City, Ut. During the relay, Deni run three times. Her projected running times are 5:30pm, 1:00am and then about 10:30am tomorrow. The rest of the time, she's on the team van attempting to sleep. The race never stops and sounds like it is 24 hour craziness until the team reaches the finish line.

Today was the big day. Deni left about 10am and headed toward Logan. The race actually started around noon, but since she wasn't the first runner in the relay, she didn't need to be there at the start. She's runner 7 of 12, and there are 36 legs.

I took th day off to watch the kids. They were great today. They helped clean up, spent some time reading and playing by themselves. Next we ate lunch on the trampoline and then the kids went to play with friends.

I'm tackled a few yard projects. We have a Lilac bush that has grown out of control. I haven't had the right tools to trim it, so I've just let it go. I decided today was the day to trim it. I did some reading on how to properly trim a Lilac bush and called my dad for some advice and then started hacking away. My biggest concern was that the bush was covering Ryan's window well and that he wouldn't be able to get out if needed. When I talked to my dad, he recommended to cut it down by 1/3. Uh, after getting in there, I think I left about 1/3. Right now, it looks oftly barren, but it needed to be done. I'm sure it will be fine next year. I then cut the remaining seed pods off, so it will bloom better next year.

Deni called us just before 7pm to tell us she had finished her first running leg. She ran 4 miles in 33:50 minutes. One down, two to go. I doubt she'll get any sleep between now and 1am.

After dinner the kids went out to sell Gatoride, candy and Otter pops, while I mowed the lawn. For whatever reason, they sure enjoy going out and making money. The weather hasn't cooperated with their little business in the last few weeks, but we finally hit over 80 degrees, so the kids felt like it was time.