When I turned 8 yrs old, I got a brand new bike for my birthday. Last year, I took that bike from my parents house with the idea that I'd fix it up and let Ryan ride it, I started on it and decided it would be too expensive to fix it up and ended up buying Ryan a new bike.
So my now 26 year bmx old bike sat in my garage, in pieces. Until one of the neighborhood kids (and one of my varsity scouts) came by and wanted to buy it. This young man is great with bikes and appears to spend most of his waking hours either riding, fixing, painting, building, modifying, etc one of his many bikes.
On one hand, I wanted to keep the bike, as it was my 8 year old birthday present, but on the other hand, it was just a bunch of bike parts that I'd never do anything with. The young man offered me $10 bucks for it, which I agreed. He was so excited. The bike was "complete" but didn't have tubes or tires.
2 days later, the Young Man came riding up on the bike below and he asked "Do you like the bike?" It was my bike. He had switched out a few things and completely painted it. Wow. Pretty amazing.