Saturday, June 06, 2009

Dropping off cats

When we lived in Springville, we had a neighbor that had some cats. They began feeding a few strays and then one night during dinner, Deni looked out the window and counted 8 to 10 cats outside their door. She had had enough and confronted the neighbor. Shortly there after, the cats began to disappear. We later found out that the neighbor had been trapping the cats and then taking them on a long drive out to some fields miles and miles away from our house and then letting them go. Only one of those cats actually found it's way home after a few weeks.

Although I've never had the experience of trapping cats and then driving miles and miles away from my house to drop them off, I thought of this experience as Deni asked me to drive her 10 miles up Hobblecreek Canyon and drop her off for an afternoon run. Had I wanted the "cat" experience, I could have blind folded her, driven in circles to confuse her sense of direction then dropped her off up the canyon. However we wanted her to make it home (plus she has a GPS on her phone, so she would have eventually made it home anyways -grin).

As we drove up the canyon, we decided that we would drop Deni off 6 miles up the canyon (instead of 10) and if she felt like running more, she could run towards my parents house, else she could call me and I'd come and pick her up.

After dropping Deni off, the kids and I went to the bike store to get some bike tubes for my Mountain bike and then headed to Grandma and Grandpa Bergers house for a quick visit. Of course, I went straight to my dad's garden to see how it compares to mine. His garden is ahead of mine, especially his tomatoes. Although my peas are looking better. Dad has turned into a part time gardener. Planting seeds in his basement, taking starts from his grapes and many other gardening things. I always have good intentions to plant more from seeds. Next year I'll have to get my garden planted a little earlier.

And finally, it was a friend of ours birthday today, so Deni and I offered to watch their twins and 2 other children while they had a night out. So from about 4pm to 6:30pm we had 6 kids (including our two) under 8 at the house. Lots of work, but fun to allow them a night out without kids.