Saturday, October 13, 2007

Azure Dae Starkes (Deni's Sister) passes away

Just after 2pm today we got a call that Deni's sister, Azure, had been in a horrible car accident. At the time of the call, all we knew was that she had her son, Eric, with her.

We later learned that despite wearing her seatbelt, Azure had been thrown from the car and was being life flighted to Flagstaff, AZ. We also learned that Eric was not harmed.

Deni felt like she needed to be in Arizona with her family, while she packed her things, I booked the earliest flight to Phoenix, AZ that I could. The earliest flight was 5:30pm. I booked it around 2:45pm. Deni was packed and ready to go before I could buy and print out her ticket. I called the neighbors and asked Ryan to come quickly come home. I also called my mom, which was out and about in Provo, and I asked her if she minded if she watched the kids while I took Deni to the airport.  We met her just off I-15 at about 3:15pm, switched the kids into her car and Deni and I headed to Salt Lake City, UT.

I dropped Deni off at the airport just a few minutes before 4pm. I didn't even get out of the airport before I got a call from Deni telling me that Azure had passed away.

When Deni told me, I felt like I wanted to throw up. I drove to my parents house to get the kids. I told the kids that Aunt Azure has passed away, but told them they would see her again when Jesus came again. Sydney isn't really sure what is going on, but I'm pretty sure Ryan understands.

It appears that I'll be traveling down to AZ with the kids for the funeral.