Today I had my first official bike wreck on my road bike. I feel dumb as it shouldn't have happened, but it did. I left my house about 6:15am this morning and planned on riding up the canyon a ways. As I was leaving the neighborhood, I came to a stop sign. I slowed down to almost a stop and turned sideways a little bit. Just then a large gust of wind hit me and I didn't have time to react and get my feet out of my pedals. There I was, laying on my left side in a little pain from the fall but more embarrassed than anything. You would think at 6:15am there wouldn't be anyone around to witness this, but there was a car that drove by right as I fell.
I know the story sounds a little far fetched, but it happened. Every morning in Spanish Fork we have huge winds. I never thought they would be hard enough to cause me to fall over on my bike, but they did. I'm sure the wind gusts are at least 15 mph, if not more each morning.
Other than having a bad start to a bike ride, I had an enjoyable ride. I set off planning on riding about 15 miles, however I end up riding 25 miles. I went to Salem, UT and around Spanish Fork. I was wearing sleeves and pants as I left, but quickly had to remove the long sleeves about halfway through my ride as I was in Salem (with no wind) and the sun had finally made it over the mountains.
It felt good to get out early and ride in the morning.