Friday, February 09, 2007

Ice Fishing at Huntington Reservoir

Since work has been so crazy this last week, I thought it would be a good idea to take the day off and go ice fishing. I decided to try a new location for ice fishing this time. My dad and I went down south to Huntington Reservoir. From Spanish Fork, you head up the canyon on Highway 6, then head south on 89 towards Manti. When you get to Fairiview, you head up in the mountains.

We got to Huntington Reservoir about 7:30am to find that we were the only ones at the Reservoir. I thought others would show up, but we were the only ones there all day. Not another single fisherman showed up all day.

We fished about 40 feet from the Dam in about 30 feet of water. I only caught one fish. But it was my first time catching a Tiger Trout. A Tiger trout is a cross between a brown trout and brook trout and has a unique, dark maze-like pattern all over a brownish, gray body. They say they fight more than Rainbow Trout, but the one I caught was only 12 inches, so I didn't notice the difference. My dad caught 2, but we threw all three back.

As I was trying to find directions to Huntington Reservoir online, I found an interesting tid bit about Huntington Reservoir. The reservoir became famous in 1988 when the well-preserved, 9,500 year old skeleton of a Columbian Mammoth was uncovered during reconstruction of the dam.

When fishing was slow, we headed out on the snowmobiles for a ride. Around 2pm, we headed home. I had an enjoyable time visiting with Dad as we drove home.

Tonight we had a work party up in Lindon, UT. At the work party the kids were able to ice skate, play pool, basketball, and eat lots of goodies. We all had a good time there. I told Sydney that the work party was my birthday party. I think she was pretty impressed.