Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Fishing for Sydney's toe

Deni called me at work this morning to tell me that Sydney had a fishhook in her foot. Having had a fishhook in my leg as a kid, I knew that if the barb wasn't showing then it would probably be a Emergency Room visit.

Deni explained where the hook was. I decided I would drive home from work to attempt to get it out myself before trying to get into the Dr. When I got home I had to cut off Sydney's tights, so I could get a good look at the hook. Cutting the tights was a traumatic event for my little 3 year old girl. Once I got a look at it, it didn't look too bad, as the fish hook had already gone in and was starting to come out on the other side. I grabbed my wire cutters, found a hook that was similar in my fishing gear and attempted to cut it, so I knew how hard it would be. It cut easily, which gave me some hope. Next was the fun part, explaining to a 3yr old that she needed to stay still so Daddy could get the hook out of her toe without hurting her. She was saying "no, no, no," and "cut it off". Both comments were referring to the hook.

Deni held Sydney and attempted to hold her foot still. I cut the eyelit off, pushed it a little more through until I was able to cut the barb. At that point, it came right out. Sydney was glad it was out. She wanted a band-aid even though it wasn't bleeding, so we got one for her.

After getting the hook out, I went back to work.