Sunday, January 03, 2016

Tamale Sunday

I love Cafe Rio Pork Tamales, except they are only available on Thursday's, unless you have Deni. 

I have a Deni and she can make amazing meals.  Matter of fact, she often tells the story that when we were dating that I'd tell her I didn't want to go out to eat, but I would offer to buy all the  ingredients and she'd cook for us. First of all, that doesn't sound like me 20 years ago.  Second,  I think she is stretching the truth a little with that story, (it may have happened once) however if there is one thing that I know I like, it's Deni's cooking.  So if it actually did happen, it's only because she was a better cook than what we would have eaten at a restaurant that night. 

It's been a while since we've made homemade tamales.  And it's only Sunday (at least 4 days away from Tamale Thursday at Cafe Rio).

Deni got the pork prepared, masa made and corns husks soaking in water, then went to help Sydney with a 'parent project' that was due the first day back from Christmas Break.  On a side note, what kind of teacher gives a parent project over Christmas break that is due the day after 2 week break.  

Ryan and I stepped in to complete the Tamales.  I put the masa on the corn husk, added the pork, then gave it to Ryan to roll it and tie. We were a tamale making machine.  


We made about 30 tamales tonight and threw them in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes to cook. The best part of making Tamales is the kids won't eat them. I'm not sure why, because they are delicious. I had two tamales for dinner and we'll freeze the rest for other meals.  Ryan is turning into quite the cook, first making Lasagna and now Tamales.