Saturday, September 12, 2009

Up Payson Canyon

Today was my "long" ride. On Thursday, Deni rode up Payson Canyon to Payson Lakes. Never having ridden my bike up that far up Payson Canyon I thought I'd attempt the same today. I left from my house, rode through Salem and then Payson.

Total elevation gain was 3,500 feet (and my body felt it.)

I suffered up the last few miles and probably would have turned around had Deni not have done it earlier this week.

It took me about 2 hours and 15 minutes to ride from my house past Payson Lakes to the turn off to BlackHawk Campground.

Below is the grade I was riding up.


What goes up, must come down. At around 24 miles I turned around and flew down Payson Canyon. I passed one car that was going 20mph and kept a steady 30+mph for about 12 miles. I learned that the "caution 15mph" signs for sharp corners applied to bicycles as well.

All in all I did 50.24 miles in just under 3hrs and 29 minutes of continuous cycling.