Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wind at my back

Deni and I brought our bikes with us to her parents house. Deni's parents live in the middle of nowhere. Middle of nowhere is probably an understatement. At a minimum it is 30 miles to the closest town that has a decent grocery store or any other store with some regional or national name recognition.

I decided that I was going to take advantage of the open roads and get some biking in while in Heber, AZ. I headed off towards Showlow, AZ. I had planned on taking it easy and for the first 15 miles I had the wind at my back, so it was easy. Heber is in the mountains and there isn't a flat road, however with my music blaring in my ears and the wind at my back, I was having a good ride. At 15 miles, I stopped and called Deni to check in. I was 15 miles from Heber and about 20 miles from Showlow (with absolutely nothing in between). I decided I'd turn around and head back to Heber. That is when I really realized the wind had been helping me quite a bit for the first 15 miles. Riding into the wind for 15 miles isn't quite my idea of taking it easy. I almost turned around and rode into Showlow, however that would made Deni drive 35 miles (one way) to pick me up.

I ended up riding 30.1 miles just under 2 hours. Not a great time, however I did get a good workout. I ran out of water around mile 25.

The ride took alot out of me. I hadn't ridden my bike in about 2 weeks.