Saturday, September 09, 2006

Pre-race Yuba Triathlon

I didn't sleep well last night. We slept in Dad's trailer, however it was warm when we went to bed, so we opened all the windows. Also, I'm used to sleeping with a fan and when I don't have one, I have a really hard time falling asleep. Not quite sure when I actually fell asleep, however we started the whole process about 11pm. We fought Sydney for at least 30 minutes, so I'd be surprised if I fell asleep before midnight.

Around 4am, I woke up freezing, but by that time it was too late for me to get warm. I only had a sheet, so I got my jacket and tried to stay warm. Deni had abandon me in the middle of the night to sleep with Sydney in her warm sleeping bag. I never got back to sleep, so at 5:30 am, my alarm finally went off.

I was tired, but ready for this race.

We cooked some oatmeal and ate bannanas for breakfast. Then by 6:15am we were headed up to go set up our bikes in the transition area. Overnight it had gotten into the low 50's, so it was quite cold without the sun being up. I wore my jacket so that I could keep warm.

As we walked up with all our gear, we got the first look at the smimming course. 1/2 mile looks alot longer than it does in a swimming pool. Plus I knew the water was freezing.

Deni's family, along with my dad, brought the kids up to the race about 7:30 am. The race was supposed to start at 7:30 am, however they were running a little late.



We got our wetsuits on, while trying to talk ourselves into the fact that the water will be warm.



This is a great picture of Deni and Ryan. It's fun to have our kids at events like these and let them participate as much as possible.



We got into the water a few minutes early to help with the shock of the colder water. There were people there without wetsuits. I'm not sure how they did it. When you get in, there is a little bit of water that seaps through the zipper up your back. The hardest thing for me was getting my face used to the water so that I could swim with my head in the water.



Just about ready for the race to begin.