Saturday, August 05, 2006

23 miles

This morning, Deni, myself, and Randy (a neighboor) went on a extended bike ride. We woke the kids up at 7am and took them Ana Smith's house to watch them while we rode.

Before we left, Deni asked if we could have a prayer and we did. First we headed up Canyon Road, towards the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon. Since we left at 7am, the wind was blowing pretty hard, as usual for that time of the morning. We turned and headed down Riverbottom road and then headed towards Woodland Hills. Woodland Hills is south of Spanish Fork and South West from Salem.

The ride up to Woodland Hills was a trying one. It was mostly uphill for at least 1-2 miles. We rode up to the round-about right before entering homes up in Woodland Hills. Randy and I got up there first. Randy wanted to keep going, so I let him and I waited for Deni. She wasn't too far behind.

The ride down was very fun. I got going 43.3 miles per hour (in a 40mph zone) and Deni got going about 40mph. We turned into Salem, rode past Salem pond and then home. About a 1.5 miles from home, my front tire began making an odd noise and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I thought my brakes were rubbing, but that didn't seem to be the case. So I continued to ride home. As soon as I got in front of my house, I went to turn around and I felt my front tire buckle a little. I looked down and I could tell my tire was losing air pretty quickly. I got off my bike and about a minute later, my tire was flat. I'm very blessed that didn't happen to me when I was going 40+ mph and was very glad my wife asked to give a prayer before we left.

All in all we rode 23 miles. It felt good to get out and ride with Deni. I think we are going to try and do that more often.

Tonight we asked my Mom and Dad to babysit Ryan and Sydney while we went out on a date. They came over to our house about 5pm. We hadn't fed the kids yet, so we offered Mom and Dad some money to take the kids out, but Mom said, "We'll figure something out." As the story goes, Ryan told my Mom that they could make some rice, corn and chicken for dinner OR we can go to McDonalds. Ryan then made two pieces of paper, one that said stay home and the other said go to McDonalds. Ryan had Mom close her eyes and choose one. Of course, Ryan guided her through the selection process so that she was guarenteed to pick the "Go to McDonalds" piece of paper. When we got home about 10pm, the kids were fast asleep and from the sounds of it, had a great time.