Friday, October 27, 2006

Beware: 1-Click buy on Amazon.com

A few days ago, I purchased a watch from Amazon.com. Today when I was unable to find a book I was looking for at the local library, I searched Amazon.com to see if they had it and how expensive it was. This was when I saw the 1-Click buy icon.


Being curious, I did what any normal curious person would do, I clicked on the 1-Click buy icon.

Immediately after clicking on the icon, a message appeared on the screen, thanking me for my order. WHAT??? My order??? I didn't order anything, did I?

So I started looking at Amazon.com help to see what 1-Click buy really was.

From Amazon.com help page:
1-Click ordering is turned on immediately after you place your first order, provided you've paid for that order with a credit card or directly from your bank account. You can place an order to any address you've shipped to before by clicking just one button. We will automatically reference your account for shipping and billing information."


Shortly thereafter, I received an email stating:

Dear Brett,

We're writing to confirm your purchase of the following Amazon Marketplace
item from xxxxxx@yahoo.com:

1 of Adrift: Seventy Six Days Lost at Sea by Callahan, Steven


Apparently I did place an order. I'm glad I clicked on the cheapest copy of the book. The shipping was reasonable, so it wasn't that big of a deal, however it could have been had I not really wanted to buy the item or I had selected some collectors edition that was worth a bundle. I guess you live and learn.

I have since turned off the 1-Click buy on Amazon.com. I'm afraid that I, or one of my children will accidently purchase something we don't want.