I met my brother-in-law, Garrin, at his work this morning. He did some work on our Camry. He replaced the CV joints, turned the routers, and replaced the brakes and most importantly saved us lots of money. While Garrin worked on the car, we went to Garage Sales to pass the time.
Car parts (CV joints, routers turned, and new brake pads)= $100
What a dealership charges to install these = $500
Having a Brother-in-law as a mechanic = Priceless
We have been trying to teach Ryan that he doesn't get everything he asks for. When we go to Garage Sales, he assumes that we will always give him a quarter or a dollar to buy a toy, he "has to have". So in keeping with what we were trying to teach him, we gave him a dollar (which we told him was coming out of his piggy bank) and he could spend the dollar however he wanted to spend it, but once it was gone, it was gone and we wouldn't give him anymore. The first Garage Sale we came to after talking about his dollar, Ryan found a 4 wheeler/bike. He ran over to it and sat down on it, but never mentioned he wanted to buy it. He came back over to me and pointed it out to me. I told him to go see how much it was selling for. He ran back over but didn't see the price on it but forgot all about the price again when he sat down in the seat. I assumed it was more than a dollar and walked over to look at it. The kid selling it, came up and said the chain had fell of and it could be fixed. At that time, I saw it had a price of one dollar. I asked Ryan if he wanted to spend his dollar on it, but he said that he couldn't find the price. I pointed it out, and he looked at it and said, "Dad, it is 100 dollars!" (The price was written as $1.00) Which is pretty good that a 5yr old would even think that 1.00 was one hundred. I told him it was only one dollar. That was all I had to say. He immediately went for the dollar he had safely tucked away in his pocket. He paid his dollar and we were off to put his new toy in the back of the truck.
The rest of the day was spent cleaning up and getting things ready to move.
I put Ryan down for bed and read him 5 books. After reading books to him, I went to leave and he said, "Dad you haven't sang a song." I told Ryan that it was late and I wouldn't sing a song tonight, maybe tomorrow. His reply "I'll pay you a dollar." Ryan's a funny kid.